Monday, April 14, 2008

Growing up is hard to do

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about growing up and getting older. It seems to keep popping up lately. It all began when I found my old journal and I was reading an entry from when I turned 19. Apparently I felt old even then. Unfortunately, I haven't stopped having birthdays since then either, so now here I am having my quarter life crisis. (And that's only if I live to be 100). Getting old is not something that I necessarily look forward to. For whatever reason, I'm one of those fools that thought the idea of Neverland seemed like a great idea. I don't feel old all the time, but it seems like it's been coming up a lot lately. For instance, the other day I was interviewing a high school girl for my column. She was in the orchestra at Gilbert high school, so I said that I was in the orchestra when I was there but I graduated back in 2001. When she heard this her reaction was a drawn out"woah..." as in "wow, you're really old." That made me feel super awesome. Then last Tuesday, Brett and I were able to get VIP passes to the Jimmy Eat World/Paramore concert. The audience was saturated with high school girls squealing about Paramore and Brett and I found ourselves in the thick of it because we were at the front of the crowd. There were a couple of guys that looked our age who asked us before the show started, "Do you guys feel old here?" Who are these people that ask those kinds of questions?! Now, not only do I feel old, but apparently I LOOK old. That's just great. Well, as it turned out, one of the guys was older than us and the other one was a flaming homosexual... so maybe they were both gay... that's beside the point though. The point is, we might be old and look old, but at least we're not gay. 

9 comments:

Lyndsay Winters said...

First of all, let me assure you are absolutely right in not wanting to get old. I work in physical therapy with a lot of "old people". Rehabing their newly implanted artificial joints and helping them change in and out of swimming suits is, although rewarding, somewhat depressing since it is certainly inevitable. Don't flip out just yet, you've got a good forty years or so before you have to deal with it! -lyndsay

mimilee said...

surprise ending... loved it!

Lex said...

Lindsey, this is what blogging is all about funny stories, embarassig moments, feeling old and last but certainly not least Gay couples at Jimmy Eat World Concerts. Genius

Courtney said...

LINDSEYYYYY!!!!! Its so good to "read" about you ( i would see hear from you, but this whole blogging thing...) You couldn't possibly EVER get old... you are PETER PAN!!! (Now when you've got 2 kids yelling MOM !!! at you... that gets a little weird, THAN your OLD!!!)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome you guys are going to Jordan next month!! I guess we won't be paying you a visit after all - unless we come into a large sum of money. We're way excited for you guys! We'll just visit the Middle East vicariously through your blog when you are gone.
-brad and shanna

The McCullough Crew said...

Amen! Just be greatful you don't have a ...what....2 year old that help remind you everyday that you aren't that young anymore.

Russ and Debbie said...

Lindsey-you do not look old you just looked mature because you weren't going crazy for Paramore and you were with Goliath, so ya know...But is it inevitable. I have been wanting to read Peter Pan lately, want to read it with me and do an online book club? I miss you. Oh and I thought you would want to know Russ really likes a Paramore song, oh Russ.

Rachel Chick said...

So Lindsey - I am still laughing at this post!!! That is hilarious!!! LOL! You know, for some reason turning 25 was really hard for me. There is something very difficult about officially being in your mid-twenties!!! **Sigh*** And now I'm on the down side of being in my mid-twenties! :( Oh well! Look at it this way - you are younger than most married people in this country! --- Most people would think that you are very young for being married. :) Look on the bright side! AND I had an optometrist ask me if I was thirty at one of my appointments --- TWO years ago!!! So I'm with you. I may be and look old but I'm not gay!

Nels Chick said...

Three Cheers for being Not Gay!!!