
Hello again. I appear to be blogging for a second time. The above picture is the temple of hercules on Citadel hill (القلعة) in central Amman where we visited last weekend. It was a great time to say the least. This city is full of ancient history, especially from the Roman empire. The Romans were pros at choosing naturally strategic places to set up shop. In times of war this citadel would only be accessible from one side because of the steep inclines on the other sides. That, however, didn't dissuade modern Jordanians from building super narrow roads with dangerously tight switchbacks around the rest of the hill. But the greatest part of visiting ruins in Jordan is that you get to climb and prance all over them with impunity, err... as long as you paid your 2 bucks at the door, that is. For example, this:
Me after declaring myself mayor of this ancient city

Here is Lindsey bringing back history, one block at a time
After this, we went to a restaurant downtown. We're going to have to publish some pics of downtown. It looks like a disaster, and I love it. Anyway, I was bemused to see that the Al-Qahira (Arabic for Cairo) restaurant made it a point to inform their customers that they no longer have any type of relations with Denmark. This is in retaliation for a Danish newspaper's publishing of the Mohammed cartoons. Man! Amid a global credit crunch, energy and food crisis, I don't know how the Danish are going to fare this embargo! The food was great, though. Maybe from now on we'll demand all our meals be served Dane-free.
To see the whole batch of Citadel photos, they're on Flickr
Lastly, we found a radioshack and got ourselves a power converter. Now we'll be able to play Mario Kart on our Nintendo DS all summer long!

6 comments:
and that is all that matters. Lindsey I'm sure was thoroughly pleased at that prospect
jordan looks rad, shanna and I wil be on the next flight. keep an eye out for us.
Wow! What an incredible experience! How neat to see all those amazing things - it just seems so surreal to mean to see and touch things that are thousands of years old - when we live in a country with comparatively so little history! What an awesome experience you guys are having!
I got a picture of Jordan on my wall. Know what I mean guys?!
-- Matthew Sohn
Now THATS more like what I imagined Jordan looking like!! What neat pictures!!
Well, I gotta say that I was hesitant to get wrapped up in the wide world of blogging but I have found that, besides having a place to express all the things nobody really wants to hear (as I am still holding down the fort here in Gilbert and not rummaging through the ruins of ancient cities...not as much of a general interest in Gilbert for some reason...) it is also a fantastic way to be pleasantly surprised by old friends. So glad to hear from you; So glad to see you guys are doing well. I have loved reading up on your adventures and am looking forward to more. The last time I saw you guys I am pretty sure I was in a bit of an alter-reality that has slowly but surely been lifting over the years since and it is such a joy to be back in contact. Enjoy your time in the middle east (good luck with...well...with being a white female, Lindsey.) and any time you need to lighten things up a bit, just head on over to our blog...very little of anything serious or remotely related to life in the adult world graces the pages. :) We'll look forward to hearing from you again.
Mandy
Post a Comment