Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pre-Departure Business

Since Lindsey and I got married almost 4 years ago, we've spent a total of 19 whole weeks apart. I promise readers that extended "dude time" is not as totally sweet as some may think. So here I am again, about 800 miles away from her in a quaint little guest house on pebble beach, spending my days in class while the Monterey Institute inflicts its 3-week professional prep course upon me. It's for my Vienna job. It's teaching me about gender in the workplace...

For any who haven't heard yet, the misses and myself will be spending 6 months in Austria while I work at the International Atomic Energy Agency. The IAEA is the world wide nuclear "watch dog." I can only assume this means my job will be at least as adventurous as Dog the Bounty Hunter's. In a round about way I'll be contributing in the effort to make sure that guys like Ahmadinejad and Al Assad don't get nuclear weapons. I hope Lindsey is cool with me referring to her as "Young Blood" (Dog the Bounty Hunter Reference).

If anyone is looking for a reason to visit the former Austro-Hungarian empire, feel free to drop us a line in Vienna. I start work 3 weeks from tomorrow (on February 2nd) and we'll be there until the first week of August. Packing appropriate clothing for 3 different seasons should be interesting.

Also, I found it amusing that in order to renew Lindsey's visa, we'll have to go to Croatia and re-enter Austria after three months. Weird huh? In the meantime, I'm trying to independently verify that Croatia is actually a place.

Here's a picture of the Vienna International Center where my office will be. Doesn't it look international?




All frowns by myself on the central coast,

-Brett

4 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

Sounds like an awesome adventure... but croatia? Interesting stop just to get a visa... but I guess that is how it goes. Good luck out there by yourself. I spent 8 months away from Stephen and I would, "I pass!" the next time. :)

Lindsey and Brett said...

It's so funny how I was just wondering how much total time we've spent apart during our marriage, and you were blogging about it before I brought it up. Sorry you're all alone over there. I miss you a lot and I'm looking forward to our adventures, even Croatia. Did I spell that right? Ah well.

The Ballard Family said...

Most of what you wrote about just now boggles my mind. I almost typed "bloggles." Perhaps I should coin the phrase.
Anyway, nuclear energy, professional prep courses, Croatia, visas, Pebble Beach...college...
You live in another world, my friend. :) (Though I do remember, once while working in an office, having to sit through a workshop on gender in the workplace. It was possibly the worst forty minutes of my adult life.)
As I sit down (finally) at the end of today in sloppy clothes, pull back my hair until it resembles Mulan's, fold my bare (probably dirty from the looks of my floors) feet under me and attempt to do some more motherly-type blogging, I find the implications of the life you guys lead to seem very exotic and adventurous. Do you get tired of people telling you that? Or am I the only one? Either way, I'm excited for you.
It sounds like you work really hard, both of you deal with a lot of change and moving around (though it seems like the two of you are born for it) and I think it's really neat. If I have to make an unplanned trip to the grocery store I practically have an anxiety attack.
You guys are great. I love hearing about what you're up to.
Lindsey . . . when Brett is away like that, do you find yourself cleaning like crazy? I don't know what the deal is but when JC is gone for a couple nights, I find myself losing sleep to, of all things, cleaning. I always wonder if that is typical or just a quirk I happen to have.
And Brett . . . do you watch every Bourne movie and/or Die Hard ever made? And . . . not clean at all? Eh, just wondering if THAT was the typical male response to lack of female company. :)
Good luck to you both.
Mandy

Dust said...

Vienna? Lindsey, I'm totally out of the loop. I thought Dustin and I moved a lot, but I think you and Brett take the cake. And I look forward to your pics someday of your baby turning 1. A few years or so? :)