Saturday, February 21, 2009

Franz And The Gang

Week three in Vienna, Austria in the year of our Lord two thousand and whatever.

Three words best describe these last weeks - Snow, Snow, Snore.

The snore because I have apparently found my new favorite late night activity. To be fair, snore should be extended to include talk, laugh and kick. Snoring actually happens a lot less than the other three, but all of them serve to keep Lindsey awake.

And snow because it has been snowing non-stop for the last 7 days. It's the kind of snow that flies at you sideways - not the happy, soft kind. Also, no matter what direction you are facing in this city, the snow is blowing directly into your eyeballs.

This is our street tonight


We did manage to get down to the Viennese Ice Dream. It is a huge ice skating rink set up in front of the castle-esque Vienna parliament building downtown. Of course, we couldn't bring ourselves to go skating in the 22 degree weather, but at least we got some hot chocolate and a tasty crepe.



Today (Saturday) I woke up, braved the cold, and purchased Lindsey's happiness - a heating pad. Back problems have been a real downer, so having a heating pad has become a real necessity. Also, I brought home some Vanilla donuts... which are awesome. These donuts called "krapfen" have raised the bar in a way that threatens to end my love affair with American donuts.

Have a taste:


Also, we've noticed that we go through a period of America-withdrawal a couple of weeks or so after we get to a new country. Today it came on pretty strong for me. So to nurse myself back to sanity, I took an extra-strength dose of David Allan Coe - king of outlaw country. Whenever I hear the rugged twang of DAC, blue and white start coursing through my veins to match the red of my pure American blood. Just look at his picture. And don't worry, he is as talented as he is beautiful.



But the big event for the day was our visit to the Military History Museum. It is weird to think about, but Austria has been involved a LOT of wars. I always assumed that whenever they were under threat of attack, they just sent Arnold Schwarzenegger to the front line to crack some skulls, flex some thighs, and it was game-over. Apparently I have been living under a complete misapprehension. There is tons of non-Arnold gear at this place. But by far the coolest thing among all the awesome things that the museum houses is the vehicle Archduke Franz Ferdinand was riding in when he and his wife were assassinated in Sarajevo back in 1914. Also available for your viewing pleasure is the Archduke's uniform he was wearing when it happened - blood stains and all. It's crazy to think that we saw the actual blood that started World War I.

Check out these babies:


You can check out all the pictures from today by clicking here. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures. Our camera is... having troubles.

I'd love to write more, but there's a lot of American cola that I should be drinking right now. We hope you're warm wherever you are, and that you enjoy having your own vehicles to drive to the places that you want to go to, when you want to go to them.

4 comments:

Will said...

That donut looks so delish...wow...I'm hungry now. Bring me one. Did you ever serve in Sao Luis Gonzaga? They had this great little bakery that served this thing called the "Bomba de Chocolate." It was basically that donut thing covered in chocolate. Tasty. oh, and outlaw country? Are you serious?

The Ballard Family said...

...and the adventure begins.
This post was laced with some things I wish I could do and some things I would never do.
Outside in 22 degree weather? You've got to be outside your mind.
A donut like that?
Could never bring myself to partake...for fear of being forever haunted by them in a way that would cause all other pleasures in my life to be diminished beyond recognition.
Military History Museum?
Totally on board with that one.
I'm glad you guys are safe, I'm glad you are mustering up a smile even in the cold, and I'm glad that you are aware of Flancer's wide variety of sandwich pleasures.
I'm also glad you read my blog and leave comments because it makes me feel happy and blessed to be in contact with old and wonderful friends.
Lindsey...I've been married to two of the worst snorers in the history of the world. And my day job desperately requires me to get a good night's sleep so trust me when I say that earplugs are the only way to go. Kicking, poking and crying can only go so far. I know the one and only perfect brand that keeps the snoring out yet allows noise like an alarm or babies crying to come through. Not that you'll need the second one...maybe you don't even need the first one...who wants to wake up early in a snowy foreign land? But anyway, let me know if you need a recommendation for surviving Brett's inconsiderate sleeping patterns. :)
Though I think I just gave it anyway without you asking.
Do you get excited when I take up all the space on your comments page with...nothing?
Have a great Austrian Week!
Mandy

Julie Barnes said...

Wow, that donut looks amazing! I would love to eat it right now. It appears as though the two of you have some great adventures in the land of Austria! I hate snow... so I think I will pass on a February visit. :)

Steve and Shell said...

im gaining weight just looking at those donuts. and its worth it.

-shelly