Eight years ago, as part of an Orchestra tour, I visited Prague. This past weekend, I got to experience it again with Brett. This time around was definitely colder, but Prague is always amazing no matter what time of year you visit.
We actually drove with a couple who we know from Monterey. (They are also here for 6 months doing an internship. His mom lives in Germany, so he has a car here.) It seemed like a good idea at the time, but there were five of us in the car (her friend was also visiting from the U.S.), which obviously meant we were all a little squished in the back and I was sitting on the hump. Brett offered to sit on the hump, but we all know that would just be ridiculous.
We left on Friday around 5 and the guy we were with, Zak, wanted to stop at a town called Český Krumlov. It's a quaint little Czech town with a beautiful castle, as seen here at night:
We wandered around town a bit that night, walked up to the castle grounds, and also ate at a Restaurant called The Two Mary's. We ordered the traditional "Bohemian Feast," which was
delicious.
The next day, we woke up and wandered around some more and then hopped in the car to head to Prague. Once we got there, we found our hostel and got settled in... but not before taking a wrong turn and running into this chump:
I know you can only kind of see him, but that jerk of a cop is giving us a 1,000 CZK ticket which is about $40. While that may not be a lot of money, it's still ridiculous that he even gave us a ticket. We obviously didn't speak czech and we didn't see the tiny sign that apparently meant cars were not allowed down that street. At any rate, we were finally in Prague and once we dropped off our stuff, we headed into town. We wanted to see as much as possible so we did a lot of walking. We started by heading over the Charles Bridge:
And then headed towards the Prague castle and the Old Cathedral, which you may recognize from "A Knights Tale."
The rest of that day included us walking a lot, seeing plenty of other awesome things, and me trying to stop in every shop with bohemian crystal. It's just so sparkly I couldn't help myself.
We also found a falafel place to eat at that night, and Brett was excited to be able to communicate with someone in a common language, since the guy that owned it spoke Arabic. (A lot of people in Prague speak English, but you get what I mean.)
The next day, we went to the National Museum in Wenceslas Square. It was amazing. I don't think we appreciated it as much as we should have, since we were both so tired, but it was pretty awesome. Before and after the museum, we mostly just wandered around a lot. We wanted to take in as much of the city as possible because it really is beautiful.
We also ate a lot of delicious food while we were there including decadent chocolates, crepes, pastries, and a sausage or two. But, I didn't feel too bad about it considering how much walking we did... it all works out, right?
We left that evening at 5:30 via train. We decided not to ride back in the car for my back's sake. It took a little longer than we thought it would, but it was well worth it. No squishing and apparently our friends got stopped at the Czech border and accused of human trafficking. They eventually got through, but yikes.
So that pretty much wraps the trip up in a nutshell.
Oh and my parents are coming at the end of April and they want to go to Prague too... so Prague might be a three-peat for me. :)
So I guess that about sums up the trip. You can see all the Prague pics here
7 comments:
Three-peats are the best! Then you really know your way around the city and can show them everything. Those lucky parents! I bet you are having the time of your life over there. Sorry about the cold, I hate it, too! Also, about the sleeping thing... no sympathy from me at this moment. Talk to me in about 6 months when a baby is "supposedly" sleeping through the night. :)
Wow! It sounds like an amazing experience. I wish Curt and I could've experienced something like that before having kids. I'm sure Curt is wishing we could come visit, but with the baby due in a month its probably not the best time! Have fun for us! ;)
i think their is supposed to be a church made entirely of human bones in prague..is this true? maybe i made that up, but it does sound creepy and awesome all at the same time.
Your life is so exciting! Prague Blauge...that's amazing haha. Keep the posts coming so I can live through your awesome overseas experience!! I hate to fly :)
Well, you just made me want to visit Prague and today was probably only the fourth time I've ever heard of it. Possibly only the third.
It's a sheltered life I lead.
Europe never held much interest for me...I've always had more of an interest in visiting South America or parts of Asia...but now you've done me in and I'm adding some sort of European tour to the list. I love places with history that you can feel, see and walk on. Ooh, and eat. That food looked really really good.
Oh, but I am quite glad you didn't get stuck in the middle of some sort of human trafficking scandal. That doesn't look right...did I spell that right? I've lost all motivation for spell checking. Good timing, since I'm writing an international scholar and a journalist. Fantastic.
I think of you guys a lot and hope all is going well.
Mandy
what a fun sexy time for you. i just read a book by the czech author milan kundera. his books were banned in his own country, i'm assuming because they are soooooo erotic. so just a heads up.
-- m. brown
How much fun are you two. It doesn't matter how many times you get to go, that is just plain awesome. I am definitely jealous that you get to tour the world.
Post a Comment