
This is actually Ludwig's second tomb. His body was moved there in 1888 along with composer Mr Franz Schubert. I'll bet they're really glad that they are homies 4 life, and 4 death. They now share a quiet little corner of the cemetery with other classical cats like Brahms and Falco. But somehow I don't feel like Falco belongs in this group. What do you think?


Other notables in the cemetery include basically every statesman from Austria, as well as the professor who rejected Hitler's art school application thus forcing America to use nuclear weapons against Japan (non sequitur stolen from a Brian Regan joke). All in all it was a fun day thanks to some German friends who invited us along for the afternoon. Ze Germans were especially helpful when a nice Austrian tour guide began pointing out (in his native language) the final resting places of interesting people. Two months in this country really has not done wonders for our German language ability. We were glad to have willing translators.
Our gloomy adventures continued yesterday when we visited the former Soviet land of Slovakia. Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, is a mere 60km from Vienna. Even though we had already visited the former Soviet Union once (Czech Republic), this was the first time we really experienced the remnants of communism. The city is basically divided by the Danube river. On the west side of the river is the beautiful and historic city center as well as the old Bratislava castle. On the east side of the river is this:
It is Soviet bloc housing as far as the eye can see. You can get a better sense of what it looks like by opening the image in a new window and viewing it full size. It is interesting to think that a truly international city like Vienna was a mere 40 miles away from the edge of the iron curtain.
But to say that it was all gloom is inaccurate. It was actually a beautiful day outside and we spent time in the fun little historic district where people sell their crafts and play their accordions. What also made it a good time was the company. We went with a couple that we met here. Luckily one of them speaks fluent German. So between the four of us, nobody still had any idea how to read the Slovak street signs. You can see all the pictures from our Bratislava adventure here. Seeing these kinds of things really makes one glad to have been born into favorable conditions.
This week we are taking off for London! We hope to find out if Bob really is our uncle, and what the heck "bangers and mash" is. We were surprised to learn that, despite the general lack of religiosity in Europe, most countries here have a four-day weekend at Easter (Friday through Monday). So we are doing the American thing and turning that four-day weekend into a six-day one. We leave Wednesday for merry old London, return Easter Sunday, and then we'll obviously use Monday, the last day of our vacation, to blog our experiences and our feelings.
We're also taking suggestions on where to go next (after London), so send us a comment if you think you know what we should be seeing while we're here.
Finally, here is another random picture of Vienna:
3 comments:
Oh Lindsey, you will always be a "best friend"! Always! Looks like you are living it up in good old Austria. I would love to join you in London. Maybe one day you will join me in baby land...
I am so glad that the weather shaped up for you. I suggest you take a train down to Italy. An easy weekend trip and Rome is awesome.
I fully second the Italy proposition. The land of my ancestors...I've often thought about going there...or Greece. Ooh, do Greece! Or Holland...ooh, do Holland! Or go cry at war memorials in France. I always figured that, despite my best efforts, that is what I would end up doing if I visited Europe.
I feel invigorated by your travels. I recently had someone tell me that in a previous life I was Royalty somewhere in the Mediterranean and I should make it a priority to visit there to connect with the spirits of my past.
Uh...huh., I said.
So, if, in your future travels you come across any clues to my previous existence, please make it a priority to uncover all you can. Is it acceptable to explore past lives by proxy? I am new to this...
In the meantime, I am loving all the talk about dead musicians. Isn't that what Europe is all about anyway?
AND...yay for better weather!!! I've been whispering to the beautiful breezes running through my backyard to come visit you in Austria for a treat. I am sure glad they listened.
Best wishes for your trek this week.
(Lindsey, if weather permits, this is where I would like you to make good on your promise to wear ballet flats and a scarf...the streets of London beg for such.)
I should really start commenting on your blog when I am not so tired.
Enjoy. Be safe.
Mandy
Post a Comment