Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Pitter-Patter of a little Lindsey or Brett

Well first of all, Brett and I have now been married for four years! Can you believe it? I certainly can't. Time really does fly by. Before we got married, I honestly didn't know exactly what to expect (does anyone really?). My mom made sure to let me know that marriage was not always easy, but I still didn't know how hard it could sometimes be. Fortunately along with all the struggles and difficult times come wonderful, fun, and amazing times. I am so grateful to be married to Brett. He never ceases to amaze me with how smart, funny, and sweet he is. It's also nice that he is so willing to put up with me. We've seen a lot together over these four years and we've grown so close. I can't imagine my life without him.

Now, as you may have heard or guessed by the title of this blog, we recently discovered I'm pregnant. I had been feeling sick since we got back from London and I had missed my period (sorry for the personal detail), which actually isn't that uncommon, but I just had a feeling that something was different this time. So I went and got a pregnancy test (without telling Brett). The test that I got was all in German and it was a digital test that said Schwanger (pregnant) or Nicht Schwanger (not pregnant) instead of the little +/- or whatever. After I waited that ridiculously long 3 minutes, it said schwanger and I had a momentary freak out by myself in the bathroom before I came into the bedroom to tell Brett. When I first walked in, I just stared at him not knowing exactly what to say. Then he said, "what? what's going on?" I replied, "I'm schwanger!" Of course he didn't know what I meant, so I said, "I'm pregnant." He didn't believe me at first and kept saying "no you're not." Actually, here's a better representation of his reaction to the news:


So I brought in the test to show it to him.


(This picture is actually from the second test that Brett wanted me to take, and as you'll notice it says that I'm at least 3+ weeks along)

Then we both freaked out for a while. We're excited, but we were also caught off guard as we were not planning this at all. We just found a doctor so I have an appointment in about a week, so I'll be able to get a better idea of all those questions that people want to know, like "how far along are you?" and "when are you due?" I did one of those online things that is supposed to calculate your due date and it said Dec. 12, but I don't know about that.... so we'll see. I feel sick pretty much all day long, but I haven't thrown up yet, so I guess that's good. One thing that is super annoying is that I keep craving foods from restaurants that don't exist here. I get so hungry, but I only want certain things... things that I can't have. Oh well. I'll try not to think about Cafe Rio, Chipotle, the Euro Cafe, Joe's Real BBQ or the Mint Thai. Dang it.

In conclusion, I bought some Popsicles the other day only to discover that one of them came with a complimentary wood shard. Talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen! What a tasty lawsuit though.

12 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

yeah!! congrats on the 4 years and the baby! I am so excited for you two!

debsfreckles said...

I wish Russ was home when you called so you could have heard his reaction, he was so happy and thinks it is AWESOME that your baby was concieved in Austria. He even started singing a song in German about Vienna, I will have to have him sing it for you. I am still so excited, please keep me updated and I hope you will feel better soon. And watch out for those popcile shards, yikes!

Team Skousen said...

Schwanger!!! YEAH!!! What a great story, congrats :)

Rachel Chick said...

Hooray!!! Congrats to both of you on your newest adventure together. I'm so excited for you!

The McCullough Crew said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm so excited for the two of you. Oh and by the way when the baby does come out I swear they speak german for the first few years anyway. Think of the test as being in the native tongue of your little one.

Jacie said...

Congratulations guys. How exciting for you. Oh and Lindsey remember when we talked about this at the Twilight party... I swear you will like your own kids:)

Stephanie Walker said...

Hooray! It's about time someone else started contributing to the Walker clan.:) Maybe you'll have a girl and then her and Samantha will be less than a year apart! Hope you feel better and don't get too sick. Congratulations!!

Lyndsay Winters said...

At least Brett had a real reaction. My husband sat in silence staring at the ground for 5 minutes. I think he was in shock. I'm super excited for you guys! If you thought marriage had some rough spots before you just wait for that baby to add flavor to the mix! No,kids are great! You are going to love being parents. Congrats!

The Ballard Family said...

So...my blogger is not working AGAIN and I was trying to post tonight, got really sick of it really fast and decided to call it a night.
Started to sign off the ol' computer.
Suddenly thought...I need to check up on my favorite Austrians first. Nobody else. Just you guys.

And how.

Woooooohooo! I am absolutely thrilled for you two. For whatever the reason may be, you guys hold a special little place in my heart. Also, anyone who is pregnant or has a baby holds a special little place in my heart. (Have I ever mentioned that I love babies?...I can't recall...) SO, your little growing family is racking up the points in the small, inconsequential world of Mandy. And I adore the idea of a little Lindsey or Brett. My goodness, the child is barely an embryo and I already want to love and snuggle him/her...
Right about now you're probably feeling quite relieved that you are on the other side of the world...
Seriously, though, I am so happy for you. Hang in there, Lindsey. You will feel better. (Like you couldn't figure that out...but I thought I would offer encouragement.) And when you feel the little one moving around in there it will be worth all the nastiness of the first trimester. And, Brett, as an old friend who cares very much for your happiness...give Lindsey and do for Lindsey WHATEVER she wants or needs for the next nine months (well, forever, but especially the next nine months). Don't question it. Don't give a look (don't even raise your eyebrows!). And NEVER underestimate the power of a back or foot rub. Seriously.
All right, I'm done.
You guys will love being parents.
And you'll be good at it.
Mandy

The Ballard Family said...

Also, OH MY GOSH.
Worst popsicle ever.

sbk said...

CONGRATS!! I absolutely loved Brett's reaction. I'm so excited for you guys!

The Ayers Family said...

That was the best "we're pregnant" story EVER! I laughed SO hard! If it makes you feel any better, I had Chipotle last week and threw it up. I also can't stand pizza right now, doesn't taste quite right... and it doesn't matter where it comes from. I think I'm speaking for everyone when I say: I want to see belly pics!