First things first, is forgetfulness a part of pregnancy? You know how they (they being Dr. Ryuta Kawashima of Nintendo DS' Brain Age) say that when you are concentrating with intense focus, your brain will shut down access to senses you aren't using? Well, I think that my brain has shut off the "memory" function so as to focus on the Build-A-Bear workshop going on in my stomach. Secondly, I feel very blessed to have not experienced the throwing up part of pregnancy, however, heartburn has come at me full-force. Here in Austria the pharmacies don't allow you to just stroll willy-nilly around until you find the medicine you need, you have to actually speak to a pharmacist every time you go in. So the other day I tried to ask for Tums or something for heartburn, but I don't think she understood me. The good news is Brett works for a UN organization that has an area complete with American type things, like cheddar cheese and Tums, only the latter of which I hope to consume. Thirdly, I went to get my blood tests done last week and although the nurse who took my blood didn't speak English, I think we got along just fine. She would gesture, I would nod, and really, getting your blood drawn is pretty straight forward, assuming that the nurse knows what she's doing. Unfortunately when it came time for my results, there was no one to gesture, nod, or speak broken English to me. So basically I have a piece of paper that indicates I'm low in 2 areas, but which ones, who knows? I have another appointment with my doctor at the beginning of June, so hopefully she will make sense of things for me.
In other related news, Austria is a hard place to be when you're sense of smell is heightened. Brett said that it's like I have a super power or something, but I can tell you there's nothing super about getting on the subway with a bunch of stinky people practically breathing on you. Why is deoderant still not hip here? Oh well. I seriously spend most of my time at home hanging out, watching cheesy movies, and working. It's a nice set up.
My last thought is that I'm really glad that everyone says I'm really going to love my own kids. I didn't grow up playing with dolls, and the idea of having kids was one that took a while to grow on me. I wasn't the type of girl that gushed over babies or wanted to hold every one that I saw. Don't get me wrong, I love my nieces and nephews and think my friends have some of the cutest kids ever, but the idea of having my own used to really freak me out. I think just like marriage, having kids is a very personal thing and there is no specific time/age to do said things that works for everyone. But for me and Brett, we know that this is the right time and that everything will work out.
To keep from having a blog with no pictures, here are a couple:
Me and my dad when my parents came to visit:


Me and Brett at his office:

Oh and FYI, I'm almost 12 weeks along. That's what everyone really wants to know, right?
14 comments:
Yes and Yes.
I love the update! I hated the heart burn. It might go away for awhile, then come back in the third trimester... oh boy!
I promise you will love your baby more than any other you have met. I also assure you that this may not happen right away. You will surely have moments of trying to find the magic portal that sends your baby back where it came from. This will pass when your body can move again and you are getting adequate amounts of sleep once more. Excited yet!? Okay, seriously you are going to love motherhood.
Oh my gosh have i really not checked your blog in this long?!!!! You're 12 weeks along! Hooray! Congrats! Perhaps i could have some pizza Hut delivered if only i knew your address:) You are gonna be one awesome hillarious mama:)
I enjoyed your post and all your information! :) That picture of you and Brett is so cute... but WHERE IS YOUR BELLY?!?! Your still so tiny!
Funny, I was just wondering the other day if you had a blog because I figured if you did it would be hilarious. I was right. :) PS - The heartburn probably won't get better. Tums and Pepcid will be your best friends!
I know nothing about this exciting adventure, but I do hope you love your own kids ...you will have to let me know :) That is what everyone says, but I have SEEN those brats at church. haha. You should go on a European deodorant crusade. Everyone would love you for it! The pregnant woman with super senses saved our nation!
Oh, I totally understand! I hated babysitting when I was a teenager, I didn't play with dolls, and I loved playing with all things dirty as a kid. Fortunately for me (and you) those things are not necessary to love your own kids! The fun thing is that my two oldest girls are really girly at all either. Lego, Star Wars, and mud are just about their favorite things! :) You'll do great - as long as you stick with the Lord! :)
Well, I feel quite satisfied in the Walker Baby Update department, thanks to your post here. :) That should last me a while...
Now I can go back to reading simply for the pleasure of keeping in touch and the occasional laugh-so-hard-I-cry moment. (It's fairly often when I visit your blog...)
First, if your experience is anything like mine, the forgetfulness will get worse with time and stick around for a year or so after the baby is born. Seriously, what is that? I think it has a lot to do with the build-a-bear theory you pitched there...I was the worst. But I guess that, for those of us lucky enough to avoid vomiting, we take what we can get, right? Forgetfulness, heartburn, I had that stuff all over the place...maybe that's the stuff that's indicative of super cute babies. I don't know if that can be scientifically proven but when you look at my kids' sweet little faces and look at the genes your little embryo has to work with, it's bound to be true, right?
Seriously, why do I always do these comments so late?
Congrats on getting through the first trimester, the second is the BEST.
Good luck with the smell thing...I can't imagine. Yikes. Good thing you have those cheesy movies and a work from home type job you can rely on to keep you out of the public when you so desire. I am definitely glad for you for that!
I am really rambling this time (I usually ramble but try to keep it kind of under control and somewhat relevant...think I've failed this time) but one more thing - - Mason's sister is in Austria and was all over the city you currently call home just this last week. She said something about a horrible traditional dessert that centered around...something...on a pile of cranberry sauce...? It just doesn't sound right...
Love to you both.
Mandy
Oh man! The memory loss gets worse with every child that you will have. Actually, Oprah had Dr. Oz on and he explained that your brain really does shrink about 6-8%while pregnant! Not even kidding.
I remember when I could smell everything and my husband would get home from work (plumbing at the time) and I could not stand being near him until he showered. It was awful!
Are you going to find out what you are having? If so, I can't wait to hear!
Like Lyndsay said, (she's my sister in-law btw) it may take a while to really love your baby but it will come. Just remember that he/she depends on you to survive. That helped me a lot. Hey, maybe the love will come instantly and that will be wonderful! You will enjoy being a mother and you will be a good one! Good luck with the smelly people :)
I love hearing that i'm not the only one who forgets everything while i'm pregnant! It's awful. Luckily I didn't get the smell thing too bad. Glad to hear you are feeling well and we can't wait to see you in a couple months!
yes you read right...ROOMMATES. funny huh. i had a friend that lives here with an open room in her apartment, and it came down to paying 1200 a month to roommates plus 700 a month...and since my internship is NOT PAID, we decided to go the cheaper route. i will appreciate our own house when we leave a lot more!!
p.s. when are you due? will your baby get dual citizenship? seriously.
my cousin is totally from gilbert! i had thought to ask you if you knew her . . . wait, maybe i did . . . brother is Chris Crittenden. somehow i think we've had this conversation . . . :)
That's called "mommy-brain", and unfortunately for some of us.. it never goes away!
I had only slight heartburn with my second child and the nurses told me that what caused his head full of black hair. Ya, it's an old wives tale, but in my case it proved right! (my first child was practically bald until he was at least one- no heartburn with him)
I want to see you when you guys get back to the states!
Post a Comment