Last year, we were together, but we were also in Jordan. We actually did get to see some fireworks that night, but only because you can pretty much count on a fireworks show every night due to the ridiculously high amount of weddings in Jordan. We did manage to make the evening somewhat American with a rousing game of BANG! with some other Americans, but we were also getting over some food poisoning which makes life much less exciting.
This year, we tried again to make things as American as possible, starting our 4th of July with some "I'm Proud to be an American" and any other pro-America songs we could find. That night we went to TGI Friday's and ate some delicious hamburgers.
I love that they have this saying painted on the wall:
After the burgers, we walked down to the Rathaus (City Hall) to see what they were playing for the summer film festival. They really only play ballet's and opera's (it is Vienna after all) and I thought it would be nice to see a ballet, but it was a really weird one, and Brett can only handle so much anyway (he once took me to the Nutcracker for Christmas and could hardly stop giggling at the men in tights...) So after about a half hour, we went home.
On Sunday I decided to make a flag cake. According to my cake there were only 7 original colonies and 20 states, but that's ok, right?
The thing that makes this holiday even more difficult is hearing from family and friends about all the fun stuff that they are doing. Brett's family all headed up to Utah to get out of the heat and just hang out as a family. It broke our little American hearts every time we talked to them and saw how much fun they were having together. So hopefully next year we will be with family and friends in the good old USA. I always knew that I loved America, but living outside of the US has made me appreciate it even more.
As for why the blue in the title is capitalized... we found out on Wednesday that we are having a little boy. :) He was quite the little showman about it too. My mom not-so-secretly hoped I would have a girl first and Brett's mom and Caraline also thought I would have a girl, but I think everyone is happy either way. He's healthy and growing along like a champ. I already have a little bump and I can also already feel him moving around. Even the doctor was surprised that I could feel him moving already. She's also been surprised at his activity level the last two visits. Once when she was trying to get a clear picture of him for us to take home she said, "oh my goodness! He's dancing!" (She actually said "it's dancing" because this was before we knew it was a boy.) At any rate, he's very lively. I hope that he will settle down once he makes his debut into the world... To all the moms out there, do you think there is a correlation between a baby's activity level in the womb and their temperment once they are born?
I think that's about all the news I have for now. Sorry I haven't put up any pictures from the ultrasound's, but you all know what those look like, right? We're just happy that he's healthy and all is well. We also have some other things that we are looking forward to....
Harry Potter, anyone?
(This is my "over the moon" face)
After Harry, we're heading to Paris and then we're coming home, so all-in-all, things are good.
16 comments:
LINDSEY!!!!!(AND BRETT!!!!!!) You are having a boy! I am so excited. I can't believe you didn't call me. I want to start a quilt for the little guy. Should it say "eat my shorts" on it? Go on flickr and type in baby quilt and then let me know some you like. Whooo! Hoooo! And yes I think the way they act in the womb is very telling, but would you expect anything less? He is going to come out doing hand springs.
YAY!!!!!! Thats VERY exciting! :) And I'd have to agree with Debbie... Blake was VERY active in and he is VERY active out! Its a good thing though... sometimes! :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I literally choke laughed when I saw the picture of EAT MY SHORTS on the wall at TGI Fridays. I also cried because the one time in my childhood when my father actually punished me involved me telling him to eat my shorts. Congrats on having a BOY!
YAY! Congrats Lindsey and Brett. As for knowing whether the fetus being active is telling about the actual child I cannot tell you. But what I can say is Lindsey you are the wiggliest person I know it is only fitting that your child be the same or very dull indeed. I am so super excited for baby boy Walker.
WHATTTTTTTTTTT?!?!!?!? Holy CRAP! Noone told me! This whole time I thought the baby was a girl!
And he shall be stinky, and I will love little him :)
When I say "come home" I mean NOW.
by the way..... trip was fun. not NEARLY as fun without you two. you have to know that i mean that sincerely. we ALL missed you.
third comment: in proof of us ALL missing you... when i first saw matthew he was way too cute. he jumped into my arms and said "where's winsy (lindsey)?? where's ryan??"
i was like... "what about me??" and he totally didn't care.
Yay for boys!!! That is so exciting! I bet Brett is very happy about this development. I am jealous you are watching HP and going to Paris. Quite jealous. I will be watching HP in a sticky little American theater. boo!
My most active baby (while inside), while still a mover once born, has been my most mellow personality-wise (although sometimes that seems to be changing . . . ). Either way, GOOD LUCK and Congrats!
HOORAY for eat my shorts!! That made me laugh SOOOO hard!! I started saying that, because of you:) HOORAY!!!
PS...I forgot to say...HOORAY for baby boy:) I am so excited!
YEAH! A boy!!! Wow, I have TONS of clothes I can give you!! ha ha ha... I am sure you will get plenty :) Edward was really really really active in the womb and, outside, lets just say he can't hold still, he hates to cuddle, and he always has to be moving. So, yeah, I think there is a direct correlation. Also, Edward NEVER SLEEPS!!! NEVER! NEVER! I can not emphasize that enough. also, I can't spell. At any rate, I can't wait to see you cousin (and Brett). You two will be great parents!!
Alright! Matthew can have a little buddy to play with! Congratulations! That's so exciting. We missed you guys up in Utah! See ya soon.
Oh, I'm so excited for you! I love love love having boys and I can really see you guys having so much fun with a boy! Girls are fun in their own way too, of course, either is a blessing...but really...boys are SO sweet! About activity level, I can't remember how active any of my kids were before they were born, it's all one big pregnant blur...but I hope that he will at least sleep for you at some point once he's born. :)
I would not have pegged Brett a Harry Potter fan, but just goes to show that you never really really can know another person, yes? :) Or maybe that just means you've been a good influence on him, Linds.
That just came out and I didn't bother to go back and correct it. Apparently, I've decided we are good enough friends now that I can shorten your name. Haha
All right, enjoy Harry and Paris (that kind of rhymes if you say it like the French do...or maybe more if you say it like a Southerner faking a french accent...)
Good luck with your traveling, work, baby, smelly people, and coming home safely.
Great news on your lives! We are excited for your baby and his chosen sex. Also, thanks brett for getting those seattle thai food tips from your dad. the panang flowed like red curry coconut milk. radiohead couldn't have done it better, cos everything was in its right place.
as for the book advice, we unanimously agree that the only book either of us feels safe reccomending to anybody is What Is The What by Dave Eggers. you asked for "something really frightening and political and sensual" and i'm glad to tell you that it more than qualifies. Its a true story about one of the lost boys of sudan, but he enlisted the help of an American author (dave eggers) to tell his story. Its all true, but they embellished some conversational details to give it a nice flow like a novel should have. its so raw that it usually hurts. real talk. its the craziest book i've ever read, and its beautifully written, and I know that the kesler twins would wholeheartedly agree, and it's required reading at Duke for all incoming freshman and they have a good basketball program, so there you go. bone out.
- matt b.
yipee skippy! a boy oh boy! now comes the name game eh? oh my gosh that sign is so perfect for you! i died laughing! i just saw Harry Potter today and loved it!
also while i was on my forever road trip i listened to my "MJs greatest hits" and totally thought of you practicing that routine in the living room at Colonial. ahhh good times. perhaps baby boy will be a dancer like his mama!
Post a Comment