1. You have running water. This is a big deal!
2. You have a washer and dryer. We have somewhat of a washer, no dryer.
3. When you go to church in a skirt, you don't feel like you are getting too much unwanted attention. I suppose if a guy wore a skirt to church in the states, he might get some unwanted attention though...
4. You have reliable internet all the time.
5. You have your own vehicle to get around.
6. You understand what people are saying around you.
7. You didn't go crazy last night after taking some sleeping pills to try to drown out the loud Arab men and other various noises. (Apparently I did a lot of funny things, but Brett didn't think they were so funny since I kept him awake till 4:30 in the morning)
8. You get to use a vacuum instead of a bunch of tape to try to clean your carpet. (Yep, that's right I said tape. You gotta be real creative here sometimes.)
9. You can eat all the tortillas you ever wanted.
10. If you don't have to yell at your landlord consistently. (This is Brett's job.)
11. You've never been woken up by fireworks, the call to prayer, a drum circle of some kind, loud Arab men gabbing about who know's what, honking cars, or the gas man.
12. Ants and fly's aren't regular visitors in your home.
I just wanted to get that out there. But, at the same time, I know that we are blessed to be here. We've sacrificed a lot to be here, but it has been a pretty good experience. There have been some ups and downs, but overall, it has been a very eye-opening experience and it is sure to help Brett's career in the future.
And now here is random picture just for the sake of adding a picture...
This is me on the way to Books@Cafe. It's a really cool cafe, but also touristy. So While we liked it, we probably won't visit too often since the touristy places are the ones you want to try to avoid.... they are the ones that get bombed or attacked. It was nice the one time we went though. :)
4 comments:
Incredible!! All I can say is; "I kissed American soil the second I could". Great experience. You are more than half way through... soon you will be back in the states eating tortillas again!!
You are my hero. I would never survive! Can I send you tortillas? or is that not allowed...hang in there!
First thing first...Lindsey, in the last comment I left on here, I misspelled your name. I'm aware that is a heinous thing to do...when people do that, for some reason, I feel my existence has been belittled...(could this be why my husband has referred to me as 'high strung' in the past?) so my most sincere apologies. :) Second thing second, Brett, thank you for your kind words on our blog a while back...I am thoroughly touched that you find anything in me admirable. I take it as the highest compliment and, as always, am simply humbled to call the blessings of my experiences my own, including naming you among my friends. Third thing...now...?...you two are fantastically hilarious and though I sincerely feel for the 'different' circumstances you are living in, I am starting to think that if anyone can get through lice infestations (say what you will about my challenges, I say you guys take the cake with that one!), tape-vacuuming and the random chance of getting blown up when visiting a random cafe with flawless humor and dignity, it's the Walkers. :)
Glad you saw The Hulk. Norton rocks.
My comments are always more like small emails. I just can't seem to make it any other way.
Mandy
the first time i heard the call to prayer i thought we were in midst of an attack. also- i swear those things are pre recorded. but no one wants to admit it.
Post a Comment