We have survived our first week in Vienna. Here are our initial observations:
1) Austria is not America
2) Euros love wacky haircuts
3) Consuming alcohol in the workplace is expected
This being the second time we've left the country together, we often find ourselves comparing this adventure to the one we had in Jordan. When we do that, we can't believe how much crap we put up with when we were in Jordan.
We got in last Friday night, and Saturday we got some groceries to hold us over for the weekend. It's always interesting to me to see what kind of American food stuffs are lacking in the countries I go to. In Brazil there was no peanut butter. Jordan had mostly everything we wanted, but there were no tortillas. In Austria, there is no mustard. It was pure confusion when I found the red bottles for ketchup, and then quickly grabbed a yellow one next to it... which turned out to be mayonnaise. What kind of deceptive country is this?
Austria quickly redeemed itself with this:
That's right. When I'm out of the country, I only drink American cola.
Today we did find a store that carries things like mustard, pepperidge farms cookies, and the following Scottish Oats:
We went to bed Saturday night about, oh midnight-ish. And were surprised when we woke up the next day and the clock read 17:20. The clock was not wrong. We slept from midnight until 5:00pm the next day. THAT IS 17 HOURS OF SLEEP!
Anyhoo, today we spent some time downtown by all the museums and stuff. This city is so awesome. There is so much cool stuff to see. And there is so much to smell! Specifically, I take a train to work every morning about 7:30am, and it is IN-CREDIBLE how much peoples' breath reeks of alchohol at that time. They have truly mastered the art of substance abuse.
Slowly but surely our bodies have been getting used to the time difference. It seems like it has been a lot harder for me this time than the last. Lindsey doesn't have "regular" work hours so she can just kind of do whatever she wants to as far as sleeping goes. I myself don't have that flexible of a schedule. I'll sleep about 4 hours and then go into work pretending that I don't feel like someone has been punching me in the face all night. But I think I'm over that now - hopefully.
So we're settled in and ready for the next six months. Probably the best decision we made as far as being equipped for the long haul was bringing our imac along.
I'm not one of those "I love my apple so much, I wanna give it ikisses" kind of people. But it does have a nice big screen, with lots of our movies stored on it, and it was surprisingly easy to travel with.
Something else that will make life easier is the fact that we found a Mexican restaurant that is actually pretty good (better than the one in Tel Aviv anyway). And the owners speak perfect English. Swish!
So here is the first blog of our Austrian adventures. Feel free to leave comments even if you are technically "only Lindsey's friend." She contributed to this one, and reads the comments. Don't be stingy. You can see more photo's from today's adventures here
Also this:
10 comments:
Do I get to leave comments if I'm technically a wife of a friend?! :) Just kidding, I read your blog and feel like I know you well. I just can't wait until the day comes that we can all meet in person someday! :) LOL! What a crazy life you two have been living these past couple of years! How fun for you! Austria is beautiful! I just watched "The Sound of Music" yesterday, wishing I could go there! :) I'm excited to see your many adventures there!
you should be kissing your mac, homes...
ikisses are the best kisses. Also you guys are just so gosh darn cute.
hee hee i will not be stingy....have you eaten your weight in chocolate yet? mmmmmm forget the pb its all about nutella:)
How fun, Russ is asleep right now and I don't know if I want to even show him this or any following posts. It will be hard for the man. I can't believe you slept for 17 hours. That's nuts!
Oh this is all so exciting!!! I am happy for/jealous of you two! What a great adventure to take together. I am concerned about that tricky mustard however...curious...
I just suggested that we come visit but the American Cola was the reason for that requests denial. Also Riley would like to say congrats on the 17 hour nap, he wishes he could do that everyday!
mac users huh? Interesting... I should have known! Austria looks like a lot of fun so far, and getting used to the time change; well sounds like even more fun! I look forward to the next 6 months worth of great bloggin'!
What a fun time you'll have I'm sure! So 'The Sound of Music' is one of my faves. Maybe you can find some cool places from that movie and post a picture!
I do not feel near as witty tonight as everyone else who left comments on here!
However, I did still want to say how excited I am for you guys, how I envy the 17 hour sleep-a-thon, and how much I look forward to the adventures that are to come. Even the adventures of working with boozers all day.
In addition to that, thanks for the tip on the brownies...I did actually eat some after you recommended them as a way to take a vacation from my problems.
Turns out, my problems aren't so bad.
And turns out, I have a portion control problem when it comes to brownies.
I'm trying to come up with some sort of Sound of Music quip but coming up lacking...all in all, singing hills or not, I wish you two the best in Austria. I hope you include us all in your fun by sharing along the way!
Lindsey, while my kids play in the front yard, I always gather up all the newspapers that have piled up and fish out the ones with your articles in them. Then I read them. Just wanted you to know. :)
Have a great week!
Mandy
Post a Comment