Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Salzburg

I just want to state for the record that I now understand why Maria was traipsing around the hills of Salzburg singing.

Case in point:

(Also, doesn't Brett take nice pictures?)

We didn't have a lot of time to hang out in Salzburg, so we basically just wandered around the downtown area, checked out where they filmed parts of The Sound of Music, and we tried to go to the Eagle's Nest on our last day. Unfortunately you can't drive up to it and it was 15 Euros a piece to take the bus up there and that doesn't include the tour that you have to pay for if you want to go inside. Sure, we could have walked up to the building, but that would have been two hours of walking and although I'm in the best shape of my life right now, we didn't have time for that because we had to get our rental car back to Vienna. (Please tell me you know I was being sarcastic about the "best shape of my life" comment.) At least the view from up there was worth the drive.

Somehow I don't think Hitler ever sat back and enjoyed the view though...


Here is a picture of me and Brett by the river (and you can kind of see my baby bump).



Schloss Mirabel is where they filmed the Do, Re, Mi scene. So obviously I had to walk around the whole place singing the song... although as it turns out, having only seen the movie once I didn't really know all of the words. Is there more to it than the Do a deer, a female deer, Re a drop of golden sun, etc.? The world may never know.



We also visited the palace where they shot some of the exterior shots of the Von Trapp home. Here we discovered the "Sixteen going on Seventeen" gazebo from the movie, but Brett was too disappointed with it to take a picture. (Apparently all of the interior shots of the gazebo, including the dancing, was shot on a sound stage in California. And this particular gazebo is locked up because according to imdb, "the public had to be excluded from the interior because film fans who were considerably older than 'sixteen going on seventeen' were injuring themselves while trying to dance along the seats.") So here's just a random picture from the palace.



We also hiked up to what we thought was the stone theater they used in the movie. It didn't turn out to be THE stone theater from the movie but it was A stone theater...



Our trip was short, but it was beautiful. We'll be home in less than two weeks and we can't wait! I am pretty sure that I'm going to put on at least 10 pounds in the first week after we get home though. I'm so excited to eat everything I've been dreaming about. (I literally dreamed about food all night last night. I guess that's what happens when you look at cooking and baking websites and blogs for too long. I just get so hungry sometimes!)

In conclusion, I don't know what this guy was playing, but he sure was good.

8 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

yeah! Can't wait to see you. Looks like it was a good fun trip, and no, I can't really see the "bump" so I will still need regular updates :)

Lyndsay Winters said...

I am SO jealous! As I am sure I mentioned in a previous comment, The Sound of Music is my all time favorite movie and I would love to see all those places! I'm glad you will be home soon so you can enjoy some yummy food. And don't worry about the ten pounds, you deserve it!

Team Skousen said...

Hmm yeah I don't see a bump so much either. You might have to come home. I am too jealous of all this adventure!!

The Ballard Family said...

Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with ABC
When you sing you begin with Do, Re, Mi
(Do, Re, Mi)
The first few notes just happen to be
Do, Re, Mi
(Do, Re, Mi)
Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do!
(Hmmm...)
Do a deer, a female deer
Re a drop of golden sun
Mi a name I call myself...

You get the picture.
I'm sorry, I really just couldn't help myself. Everyone deserves to know all the words to that song so that when it gets stuck in your head at least there is more to sing.
It all looks lovely. The two of you look lovely. And I DID think you were serious about the best shape of your life. So sue me. You look fantastic. All fit and glowy with motherhood even.
Love you guys.
I want to hear Brett's thoughts on this impending fatherhood before the year is up. :)

Stephanie Walker said...

Lindsey, I love your posts! You guys are getting to go to the coolest places that I will probably never get to see and I like to think I am experiencing some of it through you! Have fun these last two weeks and be ready for ridiculously hot weather when you get back...:( See ya soon!

Dust said...

Your baby has already "seen" more of the world than me. Can you take me on a vacation with you guys? I mean you've known me longer... And I know how you feel about the food. When we went to Germany and I ate was ice cream and rolls. You remember that fancy ice cream place we went to?

Steve and Shell said...

i was all wrong starting the cello, i can tell me real calling should have been that big triangular guitar!!

Steve and Shell said...

p.s. i think my mom and i went to that palace too, and think that is where she teared from the beauty of salzburg. it was all just too much!